Degrees and Certifications:
* Master of Arts Degree in Educational Leadership * Class A Certification in Instructional Leadership * Bachelor of Arts Degree in Secondary Education * Certifications in English and Psychology
Mrs. Rhonda Courson
Mrs. Courson teaches 10th grade English and 10th grade Pre-AP English.
She joined the OHS faculty in 2019-2020.
Follow her on Twitter @EducatorCourson
Mrs. Courson was raised in Birmingham, AL, where she attended high school and college. Her husband of 30+ years is a preacher and a missions strategist. They have three children. The oldest son works at Lakeside Stone where he cuts and then installs marble countertops. The middle son was on the varsity soccer team in high school, but now he is studying computer science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville while also working full time at Chick-fil-A. The youngest is in high school where she is actively involved in FBLA and the Debate Team. She also participates in the school band program; she plays the clarinet, French horn, mellophone, guitar, and ukulele.
In Mrs. Courson's free time, she enjoys reading, listening to podcasts, and planting and taking care of flowers. She is also extremely involved in the missions opportunities at church, and leads several Bible study classes each year.
* Master's degree in Educational Leadership from The University of Alabama
* Bachelor's degree in Secondary Education - English and Psychology - from Samford University
B. Further Professional Training:
* Pre-AP English / Laying the Foundation - from A+ College Ready
* ELEOT Certification (The Effective Learning Environments Observation Tool) from AdvancEd
C. Teaching Experience:
2019-present: Oxford High School - 10th grade - Oxford City Schools
2005-2019: Nichols-Lawson Middle School - 7th & 8th grades - Sylacauga City Schools
2004-2005: Vincent High School - 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th grades - Shelby County Schools
2001-2004: Crisp County Middle School - 8th grade · Crisp County Schools
1994-2000: Hillcrest Middle School - 8th grade · Tuscaloosa County Schools
1994: Carroll High School - 9th & 12th grade · Ozark City Schools
1992-1994: Enterprise High School - 10th-12th grade · Enterprise City Schools
D. Awards and Recognitions:
* Joseph B. Morton Excellence in Education - Educator of the Year for the District - Sylacauga City School System, 2018
* Jacksonville State University Teacher Hall of Fame nominee - Nichols-Lawson Middle School, 2016
* Joseph B. Morton Excellence in Education - Educator of the Year, NLMS, 2013
* Alabama Teacher of the Year for Secondary Schools - Tuscaloosa County School System, 1999
* Alabama Teacher of the Year nominee - Hillcrest Middle School, Tuscaloosa, 1997, 1998, 1999
* Jacksonville State University Teacher Hall of Fame District-wide Middle School nominee - Tuscaloosa County Schools, 1999