I am married to Craig Garvey (32 years) and we have one daughter, Amber Garvey. My favorite past-time is to be outdoors, whether it is at the beach, fishing, kayaking, hiking, or riding a bike.
I am currently in my 33rd year of teaching 6th grade for Oxford City Schools. My previous teaching career includes teaching 6th grade Reading, Mathematics, Language Arts, and Science.
Goal for My Classroom
I want my students to feel safe, to truly feel part of a classroom family, to be willing to help others and themselves. I feel that students should come prepared, enthusiastic and ready to be engaged in their learning. I want them to see how their education will be relevant to their livelihood and how the proficiency scales are a measuring tool for how they will get there. I want my students to challenge themselves academically and see their growth and be proud of their efforts and the strengths they have.
* Honors Graduate of Walter Wellborn High School, 1985
* Honors Graduate of Jacksonville State University, 1989
* Master's Degree from Jacksonville State University, 1992
* Highly Qualified Teacher Recognized by the Alabama State Department of Education
* Alabama Reading Initiative participant and trainer
* AMSTI trained
* OGAP Training 2 years
* Leading for Literacy Committee Alabama Reading Initiative -PALS Committee
* 2001-2002 Teacher of the Year
* 2018-2019 Teacher of the Year
* October 2020 Teacher of the Month
* Who's Who Among American High School Teachers for 2 years